Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

When Liesel Meminger is nine, in the year 1939, she steals her first book. She is by her brother's grave; it is the Grave Digger's Handbook. So begins a love affair for words, nurtured by her foster father and the Jew hidden in the basement. While the world burns around her, Liesel takes books from wherever they may be found, trying to live through the war.

This is one of the best-written books I have read for a long time. Zusak's prose burns with intensity, creating a deeply moving story about why we need books.

I would love to hear what you think about this story. Contact me!

1 comment:

Aunt Nise said...

Yeah, I'm glad you liked it. I was also was struck by how beautifully it was written. I also liked that time in history but from a German child's perspective. I loved this book too.

...I just think of these things, and then I don't feel so bad!

  • Barnes and Noble (and books in general)
  • birthday parties
  • friends
  • fun words (like effervescent and uber)
  • knitting
  • learning languages
  • RUF
  • Scrabble...and other word games
  • skiing
  • sleep-overs
  • swimming
  • tea
  • traveling (not the car part, so much!)
  • weddings
  • writing fantasy stories