Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern


The Princess Bride: In which the most beautiful woman in the world and a farm boy fall in love. But Wstley sails to America to make his fortune and becomes the Dread Pirate Roberts on the way. Buttercup is told that he was killed by pirates and vows never to love again. She is noticed by Prince Humperdinck and is taken to the royal capital to learn royalty during the three years before the Prince becomes a king. Then she is kidnapped on Humperdinck's orders. Westley comes to save her and they get away but are caught again. And guess who dies?

The book I read was the abridged version, of which I am greatful, because the abridger tells you what he has cut out. Like the 103 pages of the princess packing and unpacking her clothes. But the parts that I did read were good. I like Buttercup and Fezzik the giant best because Buttercup is the most perfect woman in the world in love with a farm boy who she thinks has died. She knows things about life that most wouldn't. Fezzik is a loveable giant who everybody boos.

3 comments:

OneoftheServens said...

I love this book.
Coy Stine first told me about it.
Dad

Anonymous said...

I agree about the abridgement, Ruth. And I like Inigo. What did you think about the parts where it says Buttercup isn't that smart?

Anonymous said...

Just so you know....
THERE IS NO UNABRIDGED VERSION.
S. Morgenstern is an entirely fictional character. The Princess Bride was written entirely by William Goldman, he simply wrote it AS IF he were abridging it.

...I just think of these things, and then I don't feel so bad!

  • Barnes and Noble (and books in general)
  • birthday parties
  • friends
  • fun words (like effervescent and uber)
  • knitting
  • learning languages
  • RUF
  • Scrabble...and other word games
  • skiing
  • sleep-overs
  • swimming
  • tea
  • traveling (not the car part, so much!)
  • weddings
  • writing fantasy stories